The activities of Early Music groups have increased rapidly in recent years, and so have their audiences – relatively more than for other classical music periods, according to recent studies by the US non-profit organization Early Music America. Early Music Hawaii wants to help you participate in local events with advance email advisories. We also suggest some standing connections for you to explore here in Hawaii and elsewhere:
- The Lutheran Church of Honolulu’s annual series of Abendmusiken Concerts features works by Baroque masters, especially JS Bach. Renaissance and Baroque composers also feature prominently during weekly services, on high holidays and at the only sung Compline Services in Honolulu on Sundays at 9 pm. www.lchwelcome.org.
- Saint Andrew’s Cathedral in Honolulu features some Renaissance and Baroque music in weekly and holiday services and at lunchtime recitals for organ and small ensembles on Wednesdays. The Cathedral also hosts special concerts during the year. www.saintandrewscathedral.net.
- The Hawaii Chapter of the American Recorder Society meets on the third Monday of the month at the Honolulu Academy of Arts Center at Linekona, 11 Victoria St., Honolulu. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Waimea Consort performs Renaissance and contemporary madrigals and other vocal music a cappella several times a year and rehearses weekly on Wednesdays. Email: email@example.com.
- The Kona Evensong Singers participate in Choral Evensong at Christ Church Episcopal Community Center, Kealakekua, at least twice yearly and hold more casual singing sessions throughout the year. Call: (808) 960-3650.
- West Hawaii Recorders meets on the first Saturday of every month at various locations. For latest information email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Weekly programs dedicated to Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque music may be heard on KHPR 88.1 Honolulu, KKUA 90.7 Wailuku, and KANO 91.1 Hilo. Program listings and live streaming at www.hawaiipublicradio.org:
- Sundays, 9-10pm: The Early Muse, Hawaii Public Radio’s own program created and hosted by Ian Capps.
- Sundays, 4-5pm: Harmonia, with Angela Mariani
- Saturdays, 10-11 pm: Millennium of Music, with Robert Aubrey Davis